The current skincare market is saturated by thousands of products, all competing for attention, and all promising amazing results and overnight transformations. Whether you struggle with acne, irritation or anything in between, there’s a product out there claiming that it will completely solve all your skin problems.
The issue is that with the majority of products, you will find competing marketing information, competing claims, and you will be even more confused than when you first started looking for products in the first place.
So how are you supposed to know where to start? Let’s dissect some of the things you can try to sidestep the beauty industry and make some fundamental changes in your life. If you’re looking for unconventional ways to achieve better skin, this article is for you.
What Is Biohacking?
One of the things you may or may not have heard of while researching your skincare routine is the concept of Biohacking. Biohacking is a new term used in the health industry to describe what’s also known as “do it yourself biology.”
The concept revolves around the idea of making small, almost unnoticeable changes to your daily routine and your lifestyle to eventually and ultimately achieve a better self. Biohacking can come in many different shapes and sizes, but the most common areas where people are talking about biohacking are in the areas of weight loss, skincare and brain function.
Make sure to be discerning when choosing a biohacking method, as some are entirely false, and others are designed just to steal your money. The concept that making small yet incremental changes to your lifestyle may positively affect your overall health is entirely accurate. The skincare industry makes this argument on its own without even knowing it, that you can take tiny steps in the right direction to ultimately achieve a goal.
Biohacking And Skin Care
So, where does skincare come into this overall concept of biohacking? Most frequently, biohacking is seen in the areas of skincare tips: people will compile lists of small lifestyle changes into an easily accessible list of biohacking tips that can improve skin. Some common recommendations include protection from the elements, making healthy lifestyle choices across the board (like cutting out smoking) and managing stress.
Many people don’t realize that their skin is an organ, and it’s the largest organ in the entire human body, so it takes a lot of effort to take care of it. Just like the heart, the brain, the stomach, or any other body part, it’s essential to make sure that you’re giving your skin its best shot at being its happiest, healthiest self.
Let’s discuss some of the best methods for biohacking to revolutionize your skincare routine.
- Exercising: While this may seem like a no-brainer to improve your overall health, it can never be said enough. Giving your body a chance to get moving and to get your heart rate up will always have a positive effect on your skin.
- Healthy Diet: A good diet will help you look and feel your best. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables will revolutionize the way your skin looks, and getting good organic foods will keep your skin elasticized, hydrated and happy.
- Vitamin D: Being out in the sun can actually be good for your skin, as long as it’s not too much time in the sun. Vitamin D does wonders for your skin, but if you’re going to go outside for any length of time, make sure you wear products featuring SPF of some kind.
- Sleep: Believe it or not, a good night’s sleep regularly can have a substantial positive impact on your skin’s health. Not only will good sleep leave you feeling refreshed and help you manage stress, but it will also actually allow your skin to heal and rejuvenate while you’re sleeping.
- Probiotics: Many in the skincare industry are now focused on taking the bacterial ingredients out of skincare. The issue with that approach is that a lot of naturally produced skin bacteria are perfect for the skin. Removing it from skincare and using products that strip it away can have a very negative impact on your overall skin health. If you’re truly looking to get into biohacking as a way to get better skin, consider looking for probiotic skincare products.
Biohacking Products For Your Skin
At Mother Dirt, we realize that the transformative power of probiotics can have an incredible impact on your skin and its health. Probiotics in skin care can restore your skin’s essential balance and ensure that its microbiome can thrive, affording you healthy, radiant skin. While probiotics are somewhat of a buzzword right now, they’re crucial to your skin’s overall health.
Your skin as an organ has a very complicated ecosystem, and you need to cultivate it well. Stripping it of its healthiest nutrients and probiotics will make it hard to keep it healthy. Mother Dirt is revolutionizing the skincare industry by cleaning your skin and finding a way to help balance your skin’s microbiome with an optimally pH balanced lineup of products.
Picking the best skincare products is an essential part of the biohacking process, so make sure you’re considering products that give your skin its best chance at a healthy environment without taking away from the nutrients it needs.
Clean Beauty And Its Importance
Clean, sustainable beauty sets some beauty industry manufacturers apart from others because clean beauty puts others first. Too often in the beauty industry, companies disregard the planet, their consumers, and their impact on the environment just to crank out products and get a quick buck.
Mother Dirt is precisely the opposite, and we have made it our mission to celebrate the magic of Mother Earth every single day. From the ingredients we put in our products to the packaging we use to send them to you, every step is thoughtfully done.
It matters what you put on your body, what you put in your body, and what you allow into your environment. So if you’re looking to try biohacking, make sure you’re picking products from companies that care about you as a person rather than just companies turning a profit with no consideration of the footprint they leave.
Practicing Good Habits For Skin
Skincare isn’t always just about the products you use. There’s never going to be the perfect routine for every person, and even the routine you settle in may have mixed results as time goes on. Because your skin is incredibly reactant, meaning that even the weather outside, the humidity in your room while you sleep, or the food you eat can completely change how your skin looks. Skincare as a practice of life needs to be a several step process, and you need to get into the rhythm of several different habits to make sure your efforts are not in vain.
Here are some of the best possible habits to get into:
- Make sure you wash your bedding. Your bedding collects sweat, dead skin, and other particles that are harmful to your skin and will negate all the hard work you’ve put into your skincare routine.
- Get in the habit of washing your skin gently. Do not use harsh chemicals, harsh washcloths, very hot water, or anything else that could cause your skin to break out, could cause abrasions, or burn you. Opening any unnecessary wounds on your face could make your skin worse, not better.
- Use products that care about you. Harnessing the power of live probiotics combined with clean skincare products designed and intended to be good for you will go a long way.
The Bottom Line
While biohacking might not be for everyone, we’ve provided you with a starting point, and a baseline for what incorporating biohacking into your lifestyle may look like.
Thanks to scientists from MIT who worked with us to create our AO+Restorative Mist, you can now bio-hack Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria (AOB) back into your skin microbiome. Our revolutionary ingredient, live AOB, interacts with elements naturally found in your sweat to produce two powerful byproducts - Nitrite and Nitric Oxide - that are essential to a balanced skin microbiome. WIth this first of its kind product, you can maintain healthy skin while restoring and balancing your microbiome.
Although skincare can sometimes be a complicated and habit-based discipline, Mother Dirt has options for you to help restore, refresh and balance your skin, so don’t give up.